Happy Book Birthday to Me!
Announcing the arrival of a bouncing baby BOOK!
After two long years of intermittent labor, illustrator Birgitta Sif and I are proud to welcome My Big, Dumb, Invisible Dragon into the world.
Born on 7/23/19 at 12:01 a.m.
Weight: 1.19 pounds
Length: 10 inches by 10 inches
Parents and baby are over the moon!
Big thanks to Sounds True and my editor Jen Adams or assisting with the delivery.
It truly takes a village to produce and market a book, and I couldn’t be more grateful for mine. Thanks also to my online audience, particularly on Instagram, for allowing me to share endless updates along the way. I appreciate your support more than you know. With your help and attention, this book has a greater chance of getting into the hands of those who need its hopeful message the most.
TIMELINE for the CURIOUS:
• First draft written sometime after October 2015, during a time of personal sorrow and loss
• JUNE 2016: Met editor Jennifer Adams at my first WIFYR writing conference
• OCT 2016: Submitted a revised manuscript to Jen (to the wrong email address )
• FEB 2017: Bravely followed up, this time to the CORRECT email address (more on that HERE)
• FEB 2017: Heard back after a couple of days. Jen was interested!
• MAR 2017: Got the green light from the full editorial team.
• APR 2017: Randomly ran into Jen at a park the night before the acquisitions team was deciding the fate of my book! (It was a YES.)
• AUG 2017: Signed official contract.
• JAN 2018: Illustrator Birgitta Sif selected by the publisher, to my great delight.
• APR 2018: First glimpse of the cover, while I was vacationing at my sister’s home in California.
• OCT 2018: First glimpse of all interior sketches.
• JAN 2019: Complete proof of entire illustrated book arrives.
• FEB 2019: Final art approved and sent to South Korea to be printed.
• MAR 2019: Plush dragon arrives! (I custom-ordered it from Budsies.)
• JULY 2019: Book officially ON SALE, almost 4 years after the first draft was written!